- PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- COOK TIME: 20 minutes
- SERVES: 2 medium tarts
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a large mixing bowl, place the Jazz Apples, rhubarb, zest and juice of the orange, dark brown sugar, allspice and ginger.
- Stir to combine and set aside to steep while you prepare the filo.
- Lay out the filo pastry rectangles; keep it covered with a damp tea towel to prevent drying out.
- Gently grab one of the sheets of filo and lay on the bench.
- Brush with melted ghee, top with another sheet of filo.
- Brush the sheet of filo with more ghee and repeat the layering until all sheets are used.
- Brush top sheet with ghee.
- Cut the filo in half widthways to create two squares.
- Use a slotted spoon to place the drained apple and rhubarb mixture onto the middle of each of the squares of filo.
- Starting at one end, scrunch the filo into a circle and brush with extra ghee to hold in place.
- Brush oven tray with a little ghee, place two tarts onto tray and bake in the oven for 10 mins.
- Remove from the oven and brush with the whisked egg.
- Return to the oven and continue to bake for a further 10 – 15 mins, until golden brown and fruit has softened.
- Serve with sifted icing sugar and ice-cream or yoghurt.
*Ghee is a type of clarified butter available in the Indian section of the supermarket. As it does not contain milk solids, it will not burn easily making it perfect for using on filo.