- Prepration Time
- Poppyseed Dressing
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped or grated red onion (see tips)
- 2 teaspoons English mustard
- 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 6 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ red cabbage shredded very finely
- ¼ wombok shredded very finely
- 1 carrots finely shredded
- ½ red onion finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- A handful of young parsley leaves
- 4 JAZZ™ apples
- To make the dressing, combine all of the ingredients in a lidded jar, seal tightly, and give it a speakeasy bar shakey-shake. Taste and correct for seasoning, and set aside in the jar for the flavours to develop.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded slaw ingredients, bar the apples. Only when close to serving, cut the cheeks off the JAZZ™ apples, slicing half into matchsticks and half into thin slices and place into acidulated water (500ml water with the juice and the skeletons of 2 lemons).
- Just before serving, drain the prepared apple slices and toss together with the rest of the ingredients. Give the dressing another good shake and pour over the salad, tossing again to coat generously.
- Transfer to a platter and serve immediately, pausing for applause.
Slice the cheeks off your red onion to use for the slaw and save the inside panel for grating into the dressing.
You can make this up to a day ahead – just store the sliced apples in their acidulated water bath with a lid until serving time, and don’t dress until the very last minute.
You can finely slice by hand, using a food processor, a mandolin with julienne attachment, or even a julienne peeler. Cut the wombok and cabbage against the grain for the best shaped thin slices.
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES
Grilled the MONTAGUE tree™ Peaches with Peach Coconut Sorbet
Spicy Butterscotch JAZZ™ Apple Cake
envy™ Apple Easter Bliss Ball Pops
Smitten® Apple and Zucchini Slaw with Cashew Dressing
Pork Cutlet Milanese with JAZZ™ Apples and Potatoes
JAZZ™ Apple, Rhubarb & Ginger Filo Scrunch