Spicy Butterscotch JAZZ™ Apple Cake
- Prepration Time
- Cook Time
- 3 JAZZ™ apples peeled
- 330 g caster sugar (1 ½ cups)
- 200 ml cream (¾ cup)
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 250 g self-raising flour (2 cups)
- 25 g cornflour
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 230 g dark brown sugar (1 ½ cups)
- 185 ml buttermilk (⅔ cup)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- vanilla ice cream to serve
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Cook the sugar in a medium saucepan over a moderate heat for 10 minutes, until deep caramel.
- Pour in 50ml (3 Tbsp) cream and 50g (3 Tbsp) butter and stir until smooth. Pour half the caramel into the bottom of a lined 21cm square cake tin.
- Return the remaining sauce to the stove and cook over a low heat. Add the remaining cream and 75g (¼ cup) butter, whisking until smooth. Set aside.
- Slice the JAZZ™ apples ½cm thick and remove any seeds. Arrange in the caramel sauce in the base of the cake tin.
- Combine the flours, spice, sugar, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla and remaining butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until a smooth batter forms. Pour over the JAZZ™ apples.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until a skewer can be inserted and removed cleanly. Serve warm with the reserved butterscotch sauce and vanilla ice cream.
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES
envy™ Apple & Honey Pancakes
Chilli-glazed Salmon with Zoodles and the MONTAGUE tree™ Nectarine Salsa