Spiced Brown Butter envy™ Apple Upside Down Cake
- 3 envy™ apples
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 80g unsalted butter, melted
- 190g unsalted butter, extra chopped
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar, extra
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups (300g) plain flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp groun cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, sifted
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1/2 cup (60g) almond meal
- 1 cup (250ml) buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (175g) honey, warmed, to serve
- double cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line the base and side of a 22cm round cake pan with baking paper.
- Cut the apples crosswise very thinly into 3mm slices. Gently toss the apples in sugar and the melted butter. Arrange the slices, overlapping slightly, in the base of the prepared pan; pour over any juices.
- For the cake, melt the extra butter in a small frying saucepan over high heat for 5 minutes, or until nut brown in colour. Pour browned butter into a heatproof bowl and freeze for 15 minutes or until cool and starting to set.
- Beat the ‘browned’ butter and sugar with an electric mixer for 6 minutes until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Meanwhile, sift the flour, spices, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda together in a large bowl; stir to combine.
- On low speed, add the flour mixture, almond meal and buttermilk to the butter mixture, beat until just combined. Spoon the mixture over the apples and bake for 1 hour. Cover loosely with aluminium foil and bake for a further 15-20 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Invert onto a plate and drizzle with warm honey. Serve with cream, if you like. Not suitable to freeze or microwave. Best made on day of serving.
Recipe featured in The Australian Women’s Weekly Magazine, July 2021 Edition
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES
Croc EGG™ Plum Sorbet
Chicken Schnitzel with envy™ Apple & Fennel Salad & a Buttermilk Dressing
the MONTAGUE tree™ Plum and Almond Free Form Tart by Donna Hay
Haloumi & envy™ Apple Slaw Tacos
JAZZ™ Apple & Cranberry Chicken Salad
JAZZ™ Apple and Fig Breakfast Bar
Smitten® Apple, Oat and Yoghurt Muffins
Chai Spiced Whole Baked JAZZ™ Apples
30 - 40 mins