JAZZ™ Apple and Cardamom Custard Pie
- Prepration Time
- Cook Time
- 6 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup fine semolina
- 4 free-range eggs, lightly whisked
- 375g filo pastry
- 100g unsalted butter, melted
- 3 JAZZ™ apples, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp honey
- Double cream, to serve
- Honeyed JAZZ™ Apples in Syrup
- /4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 JAZZ™ apples, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan-forced (180°C conventional).
- In a large saucepan, heat milk, cardamom, sugar and zest on high. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to medium and slowly pour in semolina, constantly whisking. Slowly pour in egg and cook, whisking, for 3 minutes, until thickened.
- Grease a 25 x 35cm shallow baking dish. Put 1 ﬁlo sheet on bench and brush with butter, then continue layering remaining filo and butter. Gently ease pastry stack into prepared dish, pushing in gently to come up the sides. Pour in custard.
- Lay apple slices over custard in a thin layer, slightly overlapping. Brush them with honey. Bake for 1 hour, or until pastry is crispy and apple is caramelised.
- Meanwhile, for honeyed apples, heat juice, honey and water in a saucepan on high. Bring to the boil, add apple and cook for 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Serve pie with cream and honeyed apples in syrup.
Recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens Magazine– June 2022 Edition.
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES
Spiced Brown Butter envy™ Apple Upside Down Cake
JAZZ™ Apple Cake
Poached JAZZ™ Apples with Miso Butterscotch