JAZZ™ Apple Crepe Cake with Meringue
- Prepration Time
- Cook Time
- 3 eggs
- 250 ml milk (1 cup)
- 160 ml soda water (⅔ cup)
- 185 g plain flour (1½ cups)
- ½ tbsp fine salt
- 1 tbsp natural vanilla extract
- 430 g caster sugar (2 cups)
- cooking oil spray for frying
- 9 JAZZ™ apples peeled and chopped
- 120 g unsalted butter
- 250 ml water (1 cup)
- 4 egg whites
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- Combine eggs, milk, soda water, flour, salt, vanilla and 30g (2 tbsp.) caster sugar in a large bowl and whisk until smooth. Cover with cling film then set aside for 1hr. Strain through fine sieve.
- Set a large non-stick frying pan over a moderate heat and sprinkle with cooking oil spray.
- Add a small ladle of batter at a time, swirling to coat the bottom of the pan evenly, then cook gently for 2 minutes each side, then set aside to cool. Batter will make 12 crepes.
- Put the JAZZ™ apples, butter and 110g (1/2 cup) sugar in a large saucepan and cook over a moderate heat for 10 minutes. Add 125ml (1/2 cup) water, then simmer for 30 minutes, until well-softened, then mash roughly with a fork.
- Pour the egg whites and cream of tartar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Cook the remaining sugar and water in a saucepan over a high heat, brushing down the side regularly with a damp brush, until syrup reaches 119˚C. At this point, a drop of syrup will form a hard ball if placed in a glass of cold water.
- When the syrup is nearly ready, begin beating the egg whites – they will need to be at soft peaks when the syrup is hot. With the motor running, add the syrup in a steady stream and beat until cold.
- Place a crepe on a large plat and top with some apple mixture. Repeat until all the crepes and apple mixture are used.
- Pipe meringue on top then scorch lightly under a hot grill or, with a kitchen blowtorch.
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES
Norman Style Chicken with JAZZ™ Apples
JAZZ™ Apple & Citrus Bourbon Nightcap
JAZZ™ Apple Donuts
Smitten® Apple Galette
Roasted Root Vegetables & envy™ Apples with Pecan Crumble
Cinnamon JAZZ™ Apple Dumplings with Cream Cheese Drizzle
Chilli-glazed Salmon with Zoodles and the MONTAGUE tree™ Nectarine Salsa