Buttery JAZZ™ Apple Caramel Tart with Meringue
- Prepration Time
- Cook Time
- 80g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup caster sugar, plus extra 1/4 cup
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 6 small JAZZ™ apples, peeled, cored, quartered
- 1 sheet frozen butter puff pastry, thawed
- 2 free-range egg whites, at room temp
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced (200°C conventional).
- In a large non-stick ovenproof frying pan, melt butter on medium heat until foaming. Add sugar and vanilla and cook, stirring, until dissolved. Bring to a simmer and cook for 4-5 minutes, until beginning to turn golden around edges.
- Arrange apple quarters in pan, cut side up (apples will begin to release juices to stop caramel over-cooking). Simmer for 4-5 minutes, occasionally basting with pan juices, until almost tender and sauce is thick and golden.
- Carefully cover apple with pastry and use a wooden spoon to push pastry edges into sides of dish (caramel will be hot, so don’t use your fingers). Bake for 25-30 minutes, until pastry is puffed and golden. Place a large serving plate over pan and quickly flip over. Lift pan off gently, allowing sauces to run over apple. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. Slowly add extra sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff and glossy. Beat in cream of tartar.
- Transfer meringue to a piping bag fitted with a 1.5cm plain nozzle. Pipe onto tart centre, then caramelise with a blowtorch. Or transfer tart to a tray and bake at 200°C fan-forced (220°C conventional) for 5 minutes to brown. Serve warm or cold.
Recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens Magazine– June 2022 Edition.
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES
Baked yello® Apple and Pork Meatballs with Pasta
envy™ Apple & Honey Pancakes
the MONTAGUE tree™ Peach Aquafaba Pavlova
Caramel envy™ Apples
JAZZ™ Apple & Citrus Bourbon Nightcap
Spiced CROC EGG™ Plum Chutney
HONEYCOT® Apricot and Nutella Mini Doughnuts